Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Expensive Wood I Don't Need.....

Wally Dickerman in Arizona
>I'm moving things around in my small shop to get ready for my new lathe, which is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. I have lots of wood taking up space in one end of my shop. A couple of hundred bowl blanks stacked and stickered. All figured wood. That's good. However, I have lots of exotic wood that I've gathered over the years. I used to do some segmenting but haven't for years.

I've bought most of it when I'd see it on sale or just couldn't resist a pretty piece of wood. Until today I had no idea I had so much on hand. I'm sure that I have no use for most of it.

I have purpleheart, bloodwood, Bolivian rosewood, koa, very curly maple, ebony, wenge, kingwood, parakingwood and more. Nearly all of this is in thin pieces, ranging from 1/8 inch to 1/2 inch. Some 3/4 inch. Some are as large as 4 inches wide and 4 ft. long, but most are smaller, some much smaller. I have no idea why I have so much of the 1/8th inch stuff.

I've looked at today's prices on some of this. I'm sure that even though it doesn't take up a lot of space it's worth several thousand dollars.

What the heck am I going to do with it?

Wally

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081