Turning Archive 2008

Expensive Wood I Don't Need.....

Wally Dickerman in Arizona
>I'm moving things around in my small shop to get ready for my new lathe, which is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. I have lots of wood taking up space in one end of my shop. A couple of hundred bowl blanks stacked and stickered. All figured wood. That's good. However, I have lots of exotic wood that I've gathered over the years. I used to do some segmenting but haven't for years.

I've bought most of it when I'd see it on sale or just couldn't resist a pretty piece of wood. Until today I had no idea I had so much on hand. I'm sure that I have no use for most of it.

I have purpleheart, bloodwood, Bolivian rosewood, koa, very curly maple, ebony, wenge, kingwood, parakingwood and more. Nearly all of this is in thin pieces, ranging from 1/8 inch to 1/2 inch. Some 3/4 inch. Some are as large as 4 inches wide and 4 ft. long, but most are smaller, some much smaller. I have no idea why I have so much of the 1/8th inch stuff.

I've looked at today's prices on some of this. I'm sure that even though it doesn't take up a lot of space it's worth several thousand dollars.

What the heck am I going to do with it?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.