Turning Archive 2008
>This is another piece of Calif. Buckeye. After cutting the blank from the root ball I thought about it for a long time before deciding what to do with it because of the major bark inclusions. I finally settled upon a natural edge vase shape. I was pleased with the turning process because I didn’t lose any of the wall features in spite of the fact I was turning a lot of air. High speed was the secret to keeping it together. The piece is 7 ½ “ tall, 5 ¾ “ wide and tapers down to a 2” base. The walls are 3/16”. I didn’t want to press my luck and make it any thinner. As with my other buckeye pieces it was sealed with shellac and then finished with satin Minwax Wipe-On-Poly. All comments/critiques welcome.