Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
My Cone Jig For Finishing Hollow Form Bottoms *PIC*

Steve Russell
>Hello to the group,

Last night at the chat, we were discussing jigs to finish the bottom of a hollow form. I mentioned that I had one made from scrap Corian and and old photocopier rod. Ellis asked me if I would post the photo (sorry I don't have a drawing package) in case anyone here at WC wanted to make one up.

Specs: I call this a "Treat" rod, it is known under many other names as well, but since I'm from Texas, I call it by its Texanese name... :-)

The main rod is 18" long and is tapped in the end and threaded. It features a grub screw to secure a sanding mop, or high density pad. The cone is turned from Corian scraps and is also treaded for a grub screw. The photo does not show it too well, but there is a solid metal bar inlaid into the side where the grub screw is to provide a harder wearing surface. The end of the rod fits into a Jacob's chuck.

The Corian cone is adjustable up and down the length of the rod to accommodate different height hollow forms... I have been using this to finish many of my hollow forms for eleven or twelve years. It runs true and works very well indeed. Give it a try and see for yourself how easy you can finish the bottom of a hollow form. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Steve Russell
The Woodlands, Texas

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081