Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Why I Resigned As The Turning Chat Moderator

Steve Russell
>Hello to the group,

I have gotten numerous emails from members asking me why I resigned as the Turning Chat Moderator and why I haven't been on the board lately. I really enjoyed moderating the turning chats, but I always said that if anyone ever thought I was not doing a good job, I would resign. Ellis sent me an email and said that some folks had mentioned in emails to him that I was "over-promoting" myself in the chats and he asked me to tone this down in future chats.

I was really surprised at these comments, because I always took great pains to be as benign as possible in the chats. When I first started, I tried not to mention anything about my studio work, but then I kept getting folks asking me about what I did, how much I charged, etc... I started answering these questions and apparently, some were offended by me discussing anything at all about my studio work in the chats.

I'm not sure how I can answer a question without giving my personal experience though... Since I felt that Ellis was stuck in the middle between unhappy chat participants and myself, I decided the best course of action would be to resign, to prevent any potential negative impact on WC. So I sent Ellis my resignation and explained why I was resigning.

I'm still puzzled by the comments to Ellis, as I can recall no such "over-promotion" of myself, or my studio in the chats. Nor did I ever intentionally attempt such a thing... Ellis never gave me any specific examples, so I'm still clueless as to how my moderator comments could be construed as "self promotion."

Perception is reality these days, so if that's what some perceived, then I sincerely apologize to the members of WC. As for not posting on the board recently, My adopted mum passed away recently and it has been difficult to maintain my work schedule and my participation on the various Internet boards that I frequent.

In addition, I had been getting strange error messages on the posting screen that prevented me from posting. I sent an email to Ellis about this and he said there was some information on the Internet about this particular error code (Webformboundarykit with a bunch of numbers and letters is in the name box on the posting screen and the password is mangled?). I still get the error code at times and when I do, it will not allow me to post anything. I still have some work to do on that I guess.

As for not posting pictures of my work, my website has tons of photos of my work. Since I turn for a living, I simply do not have the time to post as many photos of my work, or protocols as some would like. While hobby turners can easily accomplish this, many of the professional turners I know rarely post photos of their work on boards like these. I tried to accomadate requests, but I could not possibly post everything that was requested.

With my production studio work, my website, my newsletter and all of the other supplemental things that support these activities, there simply is not enough time in the day to take all of the photos that everyone would like to see. I wish there was, but this is not the case. Maybe when I'm retired I will have that kind of time, but when you run a production studio, you have production orders that have to be filled, or the business goes elsewhere. This is not right or wrong, it's just business.

I would like to say that I'm not upset at anyone at WC and I sincerely appreciated my time as moderator in the Turning Chats. I simply felt that resigning as moderator was the best option to prevent any negative impact on Ellis and the greater WC community. I do intend to continue my participation on the board, so I'll see you there... Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Steve Russell
The Woodlands, Texas

Messages In This Thread

Why I Resigned As The Turning Chat Moderator
Re: Why I Resigned As The Turning Chat Moderator
We miss you Wednesday nights... *NM*
Re: We miss you Wednesday nights...
I'm sorry, Steve
Re: I'm sorry, Steve
Thanks Steve
Re: Thanks Steve
Sorry to hear that Steve
Re: Sorry to hear that Steve
Re: Did anyone read Steve's message
Re: Did anyone read Steve's message
Never saw the resignation message?
The commercial post police
Re: The commercial post police
No good deed goes unpunished.
Re: No good deed goes unpunished.
What a terrible shame
Re: What a terrible shame
Re: What a terrible shame
The New America
Unfounded
Re: Unfounded
Thanks Steve
Re: Thanks Steve
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081