Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
cupcake box *PIC*

john lucas
>I've been awfully busy in the shop lately doing everything but turning for fun. I had this extremely hard piece of wood that I was given and used it for photos on the hunter tool article. When I was done with the photo shoot I turned a box bottom out of it.

Well you can't have a bottom without a top so grabbed the first handy piece of wood which was some box elder with no color. I had been wanting to carve the bottom of a lid so I did on this one and then decided it looked like frosting dripping over the side of a cupcake so I colored it with the airbrush and some paint I mixed to match the color of box elder red.

I mentioned below that something moved over the night and I had to resize the bottom to fit the lid again.

I'm still having problems with my lacquer finishes straight off the gun. I've ordered a new gun and I'm going to pick up some retarder. I'm hoping that will solve the problem. I can't justify hand sanding and polishing a finish on a box that won't bring any more money than these will so I've got to solve the finish problem.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081