Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Need to make some REALLY small thickness calipers.

MWWoodWorks
>Hello all! I just recently found WC and thus far am lovin' it! I have learned much all ready! I turn mostly 1/12 scale and smaller miniatures as well as pens. I have a question that some of you guys might be able to help me with. I have to make the majority of my tools due to them having to be so small. Most of my pieces are less than 1 inch in height and 3/4 inch in diameter. I am able to hollow my pieces quite well with the plethera of tools that I have fashioned from various materials. However, I would like to be able to actually measure the wall thickness of the vases, hollow forms, etc. Keeping in mind that the openings are usually between 1/8 inch and 1/2 inch. I am guessing that the wall thickness is ranging from around 1/16in. to around 1/8in.
Any ideas as to how I can make something relatively simple to measure this? All idea's would be helpful. Didn't know if there was some old tricks of the trade or something. I have seen the large sets of curved calipers but I would need something MUCH smaller than even the smallest set that I have seen.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081