Turning Archive 2008

Need to make some REALLY small thickness calipers.

>Hello all! I just recently found WC and thus far am lovin' it! I have learned much all ready! I turn mostly 1/12 scale and smaller miniatures as well as pens. I have a question that some of you guys might be able to help me with. I have to make the majority of my tools due to them having to be so small. Most of my pieces are less than 1 inch in height and 3/4 inch in diameter. I am able to hollow my pieces quite well with the plethera of tools that I have fashioned from various materials. However, I would like to be able to actually measure the wall thickness of the vases, hollow forms, etc. Keeping in mind that the openings are usually between 1/8 inch and 1/2 inch. I am guessing that the wall thickness is ranging from around 1/16in. to around 1/8in.
Any ideas as to how I can make something relatively simple to measure this? All idea's would be helpful. Didn't know if there was some old tricks of the trade or something. I have seen the large sets of curved calipers but I would need something MUCH smaller than even the smallest set that I have seen.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.