Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
OT: How I'm spending New Year's Eve

steve antonucci
>Some of you might recall that I was getting my son a telescope for Christmas. Well, we bought an 8" Orion Dobsonian. It's a manual scope, so it's taken a week to get it mostly worked out.

The other night, I went out to look at Mars in Orion. I was somewhat disappointed (sorta expected to see Martians or something...) in that it was a little orange yellow dot for the most part. Did some reading, and it turns out you can't get Hubble-like quality for $400!

Not to be dissuaded, I decide to look for Andromeda M31. It is the nearest galaxy to our own Milky Way, and observable with the naked eye (it's a faint, fuzzy dot between Cassiopeia and Andromeda constellations). I spent a while looking for it last night, and undaunted, returned tonight after conferring with the telescope guy that I bought it from. After a good half-hour of freezing my butt off and looking at the wrong constellation, I managed to get it narrowed down to a good, manageable sized chunk of sky. Then, slowly pacing the skies with my spotting scope, I saw something that didn't look like the other things. When I looked through my 25mm optic, I nearly did a backflip! I actually had a perfect view of Andromeda and M110 (a bonus galaxy nearby).

Waiting for Saturn to come up over the horizon here, and I'll be starting the new year off bundled under a couple of dozen layers, hoping to see the rings we've all heard about...

Happy New Year everyone...

Steven

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081