Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Help me stop orbiting bowls

wilbur
>I made my first attempts at turning bowls over the past week. I start by fixing a blank to a face plate and turning the outside and bottom. Turning the outside is no problem. It's when I turn the inside that disaster strikes. The one thing I can identify is that I am probably taking too heavy of a cut, leading to a catch, and I need to be a little more patient.

But the factor that I am not sure of is the method that I am using to hold the bowl when I reverse the blank to start working on the inside of the bowl. I was taught to cut a recess with a dovetail edge on the bottom of the bowl, and then mount the blank on a chuck with expanding jaws. I'm not sure if this is ideal, as when I started looking on the web for ways to mount the bottom side of the bowl, all I found were methods describing turning a tenon on the bottom of the bowl, and mounting the blank on a chuck in compression mode.

The one advantage I see with using the tenon method is that if the bowl dismounts, it still may be salvageable. It also may be a stronger way of holding the bowl, but I'm not sure about that.

When my bowls have gone orbital, the wall of the bottom recess blows out, and I haven't figured out a way to be able to remount the blank. I can't do it from the bottom because of the blowout, and I can't remount the top since I already have hollowed out the inside, so there's no place for a faceplate.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081