Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
A different way... *PIC*

Keith Tompkins
>To use a skew chisel. Top image shows the view looking down on the skew cutting a sphere, the second image shows the tool position from the side view.

There are several advantages of using a skew this way: I can see the cut at all times, the tool doesn't obscure the cut. The tool is held on the same plane at all times...no need to cut, roll the tool, and lift the handle at the same time. All I need to do is use body language to steer the tool where I want it to go, while riding the bevel. The red star shows where the tool is cutting...right on the center line. I can cut at any point along the edge without fear of the long point catching. By cutting on center, I have complete access to the turning...right to the center. Catches are minimized because there is no wood under the tool to pull the tool deeper and deeper into the cut. The skew angle creates a natural shear angle to cleanly peel wood away, even on end grain. This cut can be done with the long point up as well, but is trickier to master. I do use the skew in the conventional manner as well, but favor this method for many cuts.

I haven't had much time lately, but Merry Christmas to all!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081