Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
drilling holes in spindles

Carol - now in NC Nebraska
>Need some advise, O Wise Ones.

I was inspired by Jen's screw drivers and needed one last Christmas gift. How to drill the hole is the quandary.

I downloaded and printed out the helpful "Turning Tool Handles" by Ron McKinley on Doug Thompson's site. And I rough turned a cherry cylinder. The shaft of the driver is 1/4" so tomorrow when I get the mail I will stop and get a brass coupling nut for the ferrule (while the garage is warming up!).

I am OK with Ron's instructions until how I am to hold the spindle to drill the hole. Maybe I am missing some sort of tooling here. My chucks don't reach very deep and I don't have a spindle steady. I do have the Jacobs chuck to fit the tailstock. And I do have a bench top drill press, but...not enough depth reach.

The Talon reaches 1/2". Is that enough? And do I want to wrap my hand around a spindle turning at 500 RPM and run the drill bit in cranking the handle on the tailstock? Have to go about 1-1/2" given the handle I am cutting off of the bargain driver I bought.

Do I need spigot jaws, not that I can get any soon enough? How do I hold the spindle on the lathe to drill the hole to keep it centered, bearing mind that I would like to complete this little project tomorrow?

Thanks for helping.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081