Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Turning bootstrapping: is this par for the course?

wilbur
>Is this typical for someone getting started?

I've been trying some woodturning here and there, and decided to make bottle stoppers for Christmas gifts for some coworkers. I did some practice runs on scrap, and I realized that the chuck jaws I had were not ideal for this job, so I ordered some new jaws for my chuck. I was also using some old turning tools that I got with my old lathe, and I quickly decided that were not going to work -- they were carbon steel turning tools, and I had been practicing on 2x4 material, but I was losing the edge just from the friction when turning harder woods. I considered making bottle stoppers out of 2x4 material, then thought better of it and bought some turning tools from Doug Thompson (1-1/4" and 1/2" skews, 3/8" spindle gouge, 1/2" V-groove bowl gouge, and 1" scraper). They come unhandled. So I needed to make some handles. I looked up info on making handles, and found that I would need a 1" ferrule. Made a trip to the local plumbing supply house for some 1" brass pipe. I wanted to use some white oak I had for the handles, which I found that the aforementioned carbon steel tools weren't going to do well with. Had an interesting experience making a handle with an unhandled 1-1/4" skew chisel. I found that I needed to drill a 5/8" hole for the skew chisel, but didn't have a 5/8" bit. Quick trip to the Borg. Finally got a handle made for the skew chisel, put it together, and used it to make a handle for the 3/8" spindle gouge. Having a handle on the skew makes things much easier.

Now I can finally make some bottle stoppers. Whew!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081