Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Cremation Urn -- Help Needed ASAP

Brad Vietje
>Hi Folks,

I recently found out that a good friend's son was killed in a hit-and-run accident while walking in Oregon, and I've been asked to turn an urn for the memorial service.

I'm honored to do this, but need to move fast. Fortunately, I have a few rough-turned pieces that were destined to become lamp bases or med-lg hollow forms (~8" - 12" tall), and they've been sitting around after being hollowed out to about 5/8" - 3/4" for 1 - 3 years, so they're good and dry.

I would like to see photos of some good-looking designs, especially lid and finial ideas. I want something to look classy and formal enough, but not very showy. This is a very laid back, off-the-grid family, so high gloss and high fashion might look great, but wouldn't be appropriate in this case. I found a few good pix in the archives, as well as some really awful looking examples made from all sorts of materials by searching Google images. It amazes me what sort of gaudy and tasteless stuff we will buy when distraught and weakened by horrible misfortune!

Based on what I have on hand, I'll probably go with a form about 9" - 10" tall and around 6"-7" in diameter. I have some good candidates in Sugar Maple, White Ash and American Elm, and I'm leaning toward the Elm for somber good looks. I may have a good hollowed blank in Black Cherry, too. The cremains are being divided up between the parents (long divorced), and some of the ashes will be spread, so it does not have to be full-sized. After some mourning period, I'm assuming the urn will be buried.

Any help you folks can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly,

Brad Vietje
Newbury, VT

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081