Turning Archive 2007
I am a beginner bowlturner interested in experimenting with as many types of wood as possible. My question is this: what types of wood should be avoided due to their toxicity in a finished bowl or platter? I found several tables listing toxic woods, but they all seem to refer to working with wood rather than to a finished product. Is it true that if a wood is toxic to work with then a bowl or a platter made of it will most likely be unsafe to use in the kitchen? Or does this only apply to the types of wood whose source of toxicity is wood rather than bark, leaves or dust? Thanks much.