Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Ornament hollowing tool.... *PIC*

Mike Stafford
>Until very recently I have never hollowed an ornament and had no intentions of doing so until I attended a demo with Dick Sing at the NC Woodturning Symposium. I had the opportunity to examine the tools he used in his ornament demo and actually took some pictures for future reference. In August I am going to take a class and hopefully assist Ed Moore at John C. Campbell Folk School which Ed calls "Ornaments and Boxes".

So to prepare for the course I thought it might be a good idea to try some ornament turning.

When I was watching Dick Sing he used a 1/4" square round nose scraper for a lot of the dirty work on the inside. I had some bar stock and made myself a similar tool. It worked like a charm. Then to finish the inside curves he made a hook nosed tool from an Allen wrench.

I was looking around the shop for a suitable substitute and found this old 1/4" sash mortise chisel that I bought a thousand years ago for some reason. I think it was on sale or being discontinued. Anyway it looked like it could be converted to a swan neck hollowing scraper. Here is what I did with it. It works like a charm and takes a fine edge with a diamond paddle.

Ya'll can laugh and the folks on the Neanderthal forum will probably call it sacrilegious. But it cuts beautifully. Comments appreciated.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081