Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
A Change is Coming....

Wally Dickerman in Arizona
>My good friend, my Nichols "lefty" lathe is going to leave me. I've placed an order with Oneway for a 2416 lathe, complete with an outboard bed for "lefty" turning. When I purchased my Nichols 12 years ago, I had a large shop, 20 x 40, and had a General 260 lathe. When we moved to Arizona 10 years ago, I downsized to a very small shop with no room for 2 lathes, so I sold the General. I used to give one on one lessons, using the General. Since moving to Arizona I haven't been able to do that because my Nichols is a left handed bowl lathe. I do teach classes at our community woodshop and at the local Woodcraft, although I've notified Woodcraft that I won't be teaching there anymore.

I still get an occasional inquiry about teaching in my shop. I plan to start doing that again on a limited basis with my new Oneway. In fact, I've already booked 2 people without even trying.

My new "friend" will be delivered in mid January and I'm looking forward to that. Meanwhile, I have a Nichols lefty lathe to sell. I do have one interested person.

I've been asked why I'm getting a shortbed instead of a 2436 longbed lathe. First, my 2 butt shop doesn't have room for a longbed with an outboard bed. Second, I really don't have a need for a longbed. I've been getting along very well with a shortbed bowl lathe ever since I sold the General.

Wally

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081