Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Training bar for a Hunter tool? *PIC*

Eddie Pacheco; San Jose, Ca.
>I made some time, the past few days, to do some turning on some wet and dry wood chunks that I have. I used the Hunter #3 mounted to my former Termite handle on most of the pieces. On a piece of wet wood, that I was using the tool for spindle type turning, I got the Hunter cutter flat as it approached the wood and it's aggressive cutting action provided a self feed, into the wood, until past the c/l of the cutter and then BAMM! a nasty catch. It happened fast. I have also done this mistake on end grain work and the result is also a launched bowl.
Today I drilled a piece of bar stock and created this hefty outrigger to help me control the tool. It worked out well for me and I was able to try different angles of approach on both endgrain and spindle type cutting. I even used the little #3 for roughing inside and outside a small bowl blank. I was able to take heavy cuts all the while keeping the cutter angled to the wood. This setup is a little awkward to use, but for a quick fix it worked well. I just thought I would post this now to give others a helpful hint.
I think these Hunter tools would work really great on an NC type woodworking lathe, if they aren't already used by the industry.

Messages In This Thread

Training bar for a Hunter tool? *PIC*
Re: Training bar for a Hunter tool?
That was my problem, John.
Re: Training bar for a Hunter tool?
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081