Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Big Thanks from Small Turner-Long

Don Orr
>Id like to thank a couple of well known turners for sharing their knowledge and skills with me. A bit of background-I was turning a natural edge Magnolia crotch bowl last night. It came out reasonably well, but I had some trouble along the way. This is where the generosity of turners came into play. I spent a couple of days with Bill Grumbine recently at a nearby club. Had a great time. For the hands-on day, I chose to work on natural edge bowls. I showed Bill a couple of bowls I had done and the problems I was having. He showed me some techniques he uses and it helped me a lot. Thanks Bill ! I used these techniques to work on this bowl and it made quite a difference. That is until I got it too thin and tried to go back up to the rim which now flexed all over the place. Now I had terrible ridges and grooves all over and it was still wet and very flexible. What to do? I remembered a demo by Clay Foster a few years ago at Totally Turning in Albany, NY where he showed how using a card scraper on a bowl or vessel can help get rid of torn end grain. I tried this technique on my bowl and it worked great ! Thanks Clay! I used a curved scraper on the inside and a straight scraper on the outside. Outstanding results. I still need to sand the bowl after it dries but it looks pretty good already.

So thanks very much Bill and Clay! I do pay attention and sometimes I actually remember. And thanks to all the other turners from which I have learned so much, many of whom are on this board!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081