Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Polishing rouge sticks

Joe Pack
>I stopped at a truck stop on my way home a couple of nights ago, mainly to stretch my legs and aching back. While I was walking around looking at the various merchandise I came across bars of compound labeled for use in polishing metals on trucks. They looked amazingly like the blocks of compound we use for buffing wood...a red/brown tripoli for coarse/medium polishing, white for fine polishing and green for final buffing. Instructions were to apply a SMALL amount to the buffing pad and apply light pressure "let the compound do the work..." The bars were 12" long, 2" wide, 2" high. The bars sold for $7.99 each compared to the typical $4-6 for the 4x2x1 bars sold at Woodcraft, Craft USA, etc.

Is it likely this is the same material as sold by Craft USA, Berea, Woodcraft , just in larger sizes?

I know it would take a LONG time to use up a 12" bar, but, if it is the same stuff, I get annoyed when I think about buying it the expensive way from a woodworking shop when it sells for a fraction of the cost at my nearby TA truck stop.

Messages In This Thread

Polishing rouge sticks
Yep...
Re: Yep...
Re: Polishing rouge sticks
Re: Polishing rouge sticks
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081