Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Latex for end-grain sealer: Mixed results

Keith Newton
>I thought it might be a good idea to bring this subject back up with a finer focus than is normal.

There seem to be two camps. Those who say yes I have had good results, and the nay sayers.

Is it safe to assume that all latex is the same? NO

I think it would be a much better idea for whichever camp that you fall into, rather than saying something like I used latex once and lost some good wood, without making any reference to not only the kind of paint, but the kind of wood, and whether it may have gone into a kiln, or whatever drying method was used.

There are lots of variables that will have mixed results, not to mention each and all of our locations, and or the time of year etc.

Personally I have only had bad results once. That was with a big White Oak log, in August, over 110. My mill is out on an asphalt parking lot. I was out of my usual, white latex primer. While I was at my local hardware store, I ask if they had any cheap or wrong color return that they wanted to make me a good deal on. This was not a primer, but a finish paint. When I rolled it on, I could tell that it was soaking in, rather than sealing off the surface, and even two coats was not equal to one coat of primer.

As for making a total seal against any evaporation. I don't feel that this is necessary if it slows it down enough that no checking appears. This is where those requested variables that I mentioned at the start. If you are sending a good candidate for checking through the fast drying of a kiln, I have no doubt that you would want the best. However, if you have one which can go without anything, That is another discussion.

The longer I work at this, the more experience I have to draw on, to base my decisions on, and whether we come to these forums to get advice, or because we like helping others who could benefit from our experience, the more specific one can be in asking the questions, the more specific can be the answer. Those are the ones which are most valuable.

I have some catalpa out on the lot, which has gone a year without any end-coat, yet it has no checking. I also have some cherry which will check in less than a day without anything. However if I lived in a rain-forest, it would probably be OK.

I am in Little Rock, AR, so if you have comments that contradict anything that I have offered above, I would love to learn from you whatever I can

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081