Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Impressive Wood

Bill Grumbine (Kutztown PA)
>Greetings all

Last weekend I was in Washington DC for demonstrations at Montgomery County Turners and Capitol Area Turners. I was offered a very nice opportunity while I was down there - a private tour of the White House. The family came along with me, and we were treated to a very nice tour. No pictures were allowed inside the building, although I have a couple of outside in the public area. But on to the (most) impressive part.

At the end of our tour, we wound up on the driveway at the north gate. There was a stump at the end of the driveway. Our host explained to me that the stump was recently a scarlet oak tree, which had to be removed - i.e. chopped down - just about a week or so ago. Being a turner himself, he grabbed a bunch of the wood. He then went on to ask me if I would be interested in having some myself!!!! Of course, you all know the answer to that one! I need to write him and ask for the details again, since my head was spinning faster than the wood on my lathe, but the tree was planted by a former president back in the 1800s. There is going to be a lot of thought going into these pieces of wood!

Bill

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081