Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Story Bowl

Jennifer@Indy.USA
>Hello All,

This is new piece that I finished a week or so ago. I've been playing with some color on the last two things I've made and I'm really enjoying it. I goofed around with some color about a year ago but never really gave it a chance I don't think. This is a piece of beech or birch...I honestly can't remember, not that it matters since you can't see the wood anyway. This piece came about after a conversation with Clay Foster and Graeme Priddle at the recent OVWG Symposium, while talking about inspirations and where and how we find them. Something that both of them agreed on was that the stories of our lives are a great place to find our inspirations.I thought about that and pondered my life's stories. I found that really, that's what our lives are. A bunch of stories intertwined and wrapped around each other. Where one ends another begins. Sometimes we come back to old stories, but they are always different in some way. The hard part is to change the way we think about these seemingly insignificant stories. They are all special, significant stories and we should think of them this way. So I pondered things that mean a great deal to me and my little world and kept coming up with the same things. My son, my family, my friends and my home.
The name of this piece is simply "Tree". It's the story of a giant Ash tree that lives in our backyard. Our home is quite small and so the tree dwarfs it in relationship. I have a bitter sweet relationship with this tree, but will forever look at it as one of those special things in my world. I'll leave it at that, as I think that the details of these stories is really unnecessary and might even cloud your thoughts about what the turning is about. Kind of like when a song has too much detail in it. It's hard to make a connection to it. So I'll encourage you to make up your own story :)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This one was burned and then carved and then colored with WoodBrust colors that I mixed. The finish is 2 coats of Krylon Fixatiff burnished between coats with softened paper grocery bag and then 3 coats of Deft spray lacquer, and the grocery bag in between as well.

Thanks for peeking at my Story Bowl. This is sort of a different thing for me, so I'd be curious to hear your comments and thoughts.

Jen

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081