Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
My Dad's visit *PIC*

john lucas
>My dad had a project duplicating a lamp and he didn't feel he could do it so he drove up from Atlanta to spend the weekend. We spent a lot of time turning. I turned the lamp. The hardest part was finding the wood because I needed 3 5/8" dry pine. My friend who makes rocking horses had some so we drove out and got it. Then I turned it. While we were waiting for a layer of shellac to dry I had an order of wine stoppers to get out so I turned those while he was here.

Then I worked on 2 other lamps that I'm in various stages of finishing. I was hoping to get more done on the lamps but have to photograph a basketball game at 2 which will really eat up my day.

The lamp on the right is the one I made. matching the color was the tough part. I got pretty close but my dad is really impatient and he kept saying that's good enough and I kept saying but I can get it closer.

By the way I learned something new. Water based analine dye will mix with shellac after it's been mixed with water. The powder won't dissolve in shellac. I mixed the powder with some water and then added a tiny bit to the shellac until I got the color I wanted.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081