Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Made two toolrests for my lathe. *PIC*

Eddie Pacheco, San Jose, Ca.
>When I purchased my used PM 3520 it came with a Best Tools modular toolrest. After using this for the few items I have turned on my lathe I decided to replace it as I don't think it was the right toolrest for my skill level. I felt that I needed to get tool support closer to the work. Longer, beefier tool handles would also help. My lathe is the pre A model and it has a banjo for use with a post of 1 1/8" dia. I couldn't find any of the original type toolrests on the internet, for sale, so I decided to make an 8" and 12" myself.
I used a close variant of the toolrest cross section that is described in Mike Darlow's "Fundamentals of Woodturning" book (pg. 29). I used 5/8" 4142 precision ground material from McMaster-Carr. The post material is O1 drill rod material, also from McMaster-Carr.
I was able to use a freed up mill at my friend's shop to do the milling of the "bird's mouth" on the round and bevel on the flat stock. For the 30 degree bevel I had to make a fixture to hold and clamp the bar so that I could use an endmill to machine the bevel. The project took a little longer than I thought and overall consumed 12hrs. The TIG welding was done at a local motorcycle shop. for $40.00, as my welder doesn't have enough power for this thickness of material. I'm real, real glad that my friend let me use his shop and equipment. I'll be buying him lunch for a while.
Now that I have the lathe it was just the tool rest that was holding me back, right? I hope to try these out tomorrow evening.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081