Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
next step - do the bottom!

Carol Reed - in Nebraska
>Thanks for the help with the scratches. Wally reminded me about shear scraping with the bowl gouge after waxing. That did it. Made me nervous though! I gotta get back to Arizona for another lesson! That'll take a year!!

Now I need to do the bottom. No 'jam' chuck. No Longworth. No vacuum chuck. The bowl is nearly 9 inches in diameter. Almost hits the ways!

My thought (with regard to what I have on hand): Mount a piece of plywood on a face plate, after cutting it round on the band saw. Stick on a WalMart Sticky Foamie. Bring up the tailstock with the live center. Light cuts only.

The question is how to get it centered!

Other suggestions very welcome.

Also, I bagged the bowl as Wally suggested. I think I will lacquer it, as oil makes it darker than I'd like. Should I do that to the inside and outside before I finish the bottom, or wait until the whole bowl is done? Also have to get to the auto parts store next week and get some finer sandpaper. I only had up to 320. I know, I know, order some from Vince.

I'd do pictures, but my desktop PC crashed and I don't have the camera software on the laptop. Need a new drive and complete re-install. Bummer big time. So I am making sawdust to keep from screaming!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081