Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
some help needed - Wally?? my mentor?

Carol Reed - in Nebraska
>Well, gang, I finally have one on the lathe I haven't blown up yet. And I really don't want to, either. :) This piece has lovely grain and a little chatoyance. (sp?)

Terry Q at Indy Fest gave me a couple of bowl blanks turned when wet - elm, I think? Now they are drier than a box of Kleenix in the Sahara!

I have one in a pleasing shape to me, but I have tear out problems. I have discovered that I can get a catch with every tool I have. LOL.

So how do I get those little tear outs gone? The ol' 80 grit gouge would take forever.

Also the grain gets pretty tight and the wood is so dry, that now cracking is a problem. Discovered that while trying to sand. Learned to crank the speed all the way down on my mini lathe! I used CA to stop the one crack I discovered. Then I dusted myself off and came in to get some advise.

I remember Wally teaching me something about applying oil or wax and then turning a little more. But my memory has been poluted with learning Greek and Hebrew the last couple of years, so I don't remember clearly what he taught me.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081