Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Chechen box... *PIC*

Mike Stafford
>Mike Hunter sent me some prototype swan neck Hunter Tools to try on some of my boxes. Here is my first effort at an end grain box completely hollowed with the Hunter Tool. I had to go through a learning curve to find the correct angle of attack when using these tools and I also found it difficult initially to start a cut in the center and work from the center outward.

One of the reasons I was interested in the Hunter Tools was to reduce a problem I sometimes had with some of my boxes with undercut bodies. I was using a hook nosed scraper to hollow these undercut boxes and no matter how sharp the tool or how careful I was I would get some tearout on the underside of the upper shoulder that would require a lot of sanding. Mike decided to let me try his tools to see if they would reduce the tearout. Every box I have turned with the Hunter Tools have shown better results, less tearout and smoother initial finish before sanding. I also learned that I needed to increase my speed to have higher surface feet per minute. This increase in speed dramatically improved the finish of the bare wood with the Hunter Tools. Mike hopes to have some of these swan neck tools for sale in about 6 weeks.

This box is chechen which is very similar in my estimation to mesquite and is 2 1/2" in diameter and 2 3/4" tall. Comments appreciated....

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081