Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
QC Criteria - Customers or Critics? *LINK*

charlie belden
>I posted this to rec.crafts.woodturning but there are probably folks here who don't have usenet access who have opinions on the subject.

(Note: I’m using the positive connotation of the word “critics” - as in critique / constructive criticism - rather than its negative nit picking egotistical attacks connotation)

One of the many advantages of being a member of a turners club is the opportunity to see day long demonstrations by well known turners. I had the pleasure of spending a Sunday watching Cindy Drozda demonstrate her method of turning three types of boxes, two with her signature beautiful finialed (is there such a word?) tops. She’s a great teacher in addition to being a very accomplished turner and artist. Her love of, and passion for, turning is infectous. Attached is a link to her web site. Photos can only give you an idea of what this turner does.

The first piece she created was an elegant little lidded holly box with a padouk inlaid “rim” and foot. At maybe 2 1/2” diameter and perhaps 3 1/2” tall - including the long delicate finial - there was a lot of very precise turning packed into a very small and beautiful package.

The piece required two critical fits - the inlayed padouk to the box rim and the finialed lid to the inlay rimmed box. The blending of all three to form a continuous whole isn’t trivial either - but I want to focus on the issue of “fit”.

If you’ve made a “turned lidded box” you know how tricky it can be to get a nice fit. Even when you sneak up on it, it can be a Too Big, Still Too Big, Just A Little Too Big - TOO SMALL! Thing.

Now if you’re turning a lidded box to show off your turning skills to other turners, a good fit means a “click” or “pop” fit. Anything less is too loose or too tight. BUT - if you want to impress a non-turner - say a potential purchaser of your turned lidded box, a nice snug “click” or “pop” fit might work against you, especially if the lid has a delicate finial. If, however, the top lifts off easily, revealing the inside of the box, and let’s not forget the underside of the lid, well the potential for a sale goes up noticably. And even if the person doesn’t buy a piece, the look on their face as they examine, and appreciate the piece can be a pay off that money can’t buy.

“Lid Fit” is just one example of the question - how much of what we shoot for when turning is critical to the piece and how much is just “I can - so I do”? Is a uniform 1/16ht inch wall thickness really that significant to the piece? Sure, for Christmas Tree Ornaments, where weight is an important factor, really thin wall are desirable. But on a foot tall, 8 inch diameter piece, is there really any need for uniform thin walls? Other than the challenge of hollowing through a seemingly impossibly small opening in the top, why not hollow through a larger opening in the bottom and “plug” it when th hollowing is complete? Is the non-turner really going to notice, less alone appreciate, a surface right off the perfect continuous finish cut as opposed to one that was sanded smooth then given a film finish?

Do you turn to the limits of your skills, and maybe just beyond what you think you can do, or do you turn to make your idea into a tangible object - that may or may not be appreciated by anyone else on the planet?

charlie belden

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081