Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Machinist knurl for spiraling/texturing

Ken Grunke from SW WI
>Tonight was hectic for me, I had planned to join the chat and share my knurling wheel spiraling and texturing tool. I'm visiting at my sister's dairy farm for a week, a few hours from home, and brought a little Carbatech lathe with me which is set up in a mobile home trailer about 15 yards from the house.

Between a little turning, showing Sis how to bake bread in the kitchen, hopping back out to the trailer to take a couple pics, then running back in to upload them and finding out I had to install Java to get in the chat, I finally got the chat going and ready to log in at 10:30 pm Eastern. I decided not to bother since everyone would likely be signing out.

So here's the tool, a machinist's knurling wheel with fine-pitched angled teeth, mounted on a length of 1/2" keystock for a handle. The Sorby and Serious tools use ball bearings for each wheel and are much bigger, but this wheel spins direct on a little 1/4" shoulder bolt and works just fine as long as you keep the speed down. I set the toolrest just a bit over center, and start the wheel spinning by pressing it's face against the work first, then angle it down just a bit until the top edge starts cutting.

Use a light touch and practice on scrap to get the feel of using the tool. Machinist knurls are available in a wide variety of diameters and pitches, this one of mine is one of the smallest available at 3/4" diam. I think Enco has them and mscdirect.com as well, or any well-stocked machinist supply outfit.
In my opinion a straight-toothed wheel of coarser pitch and larger diameter would be more useful. When I get one, it will be mounted on a round shaft with a bracket just like the Sorby and Serious tools.

Here's a better shot of the spiraling itelf, on a piece of spalted maple from Sis's firewood pile:

And a closer shot--it takes a bit of finesse and some luck to get a nice looking spiral and harder woods give best results:

Messages In This Thread

Machinist knurl for spiraling/texturing
Re: Machinist knurl for spiraling/texturing
Neat-O!
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081