Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
opinions please -- tool handles *PIC*

GaryG in MD
>Background first -- I'm just an amateur -- I make stuff to keep or give away to "lucky" people as gifts. No pretentions, galleries, etc. Just for fun, but, hopefully, quality work that I can be proud of.

I got more wood than I could deal with this spring when some itinerant tree whackers came through the neighborhood. I wasn't able to get to it all in a timely manner, and some of it got the dreaded black mold (or whatever you call it). Other than that, the wood is sound. I roughed a piece (silver maple) into an 11+ inch bowl with the result in the photo. The sap wood is mostly gray, as I expected it would be. The piece has some spalt on the outside and a funky branch inclusion on the inside. I would like to save it.

My question is, how bad is that -- to the average non-turner and to you as a turner? If I finish it normally with, say, Watco, the gray areas will be -- gray. One could say that's just more "nature"; after all, we accept things like worm holes and spalt, so why not mold? Others, I'm sure, will turn up their noses and say "yuk; dirty; unacceptable". I've been going back and forth and can't decide -- hence this post. I would like to get a feeling about where the balance of opinions is. On a scale from "who cares?" to "trash it!", where does that fit on your personal scale?

I know I can Chlorox it and make a lot of it go away, but I'm not sure I want to do that.
I can dye it blue -- then the gray will just be a different shade of blue. That's a possibility, but I want to consider a normal oil finish first. So what do you all think? Thanks.

...Gary

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081