Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
The Documentary...The War

Wally Dickerman in Arizona
>Are any of you watching the Ken Burns film on WW2? I've heard that many young people are not. This is a huge part of our history. Sadly, many of the younger generations don't seem to be interested in their history.

I am one of the few on WC who was involved in the war. I'm learning a few things from the film that I either didn't know or had forgotten. I wasn't aware that the news media showed no photos of dead Americans during the first year of our participation. I had forgotten much about the race riots. I do remember how people came together more than ever before or since. I can remember how angry I was at what happened to West Coast Japanese. I had several friends and schoolmates who were Japanese and ended up in concentration camps.

I joined the Navy in early 1942. After some duty stations in the US, I was assigned to a new Destroyer in late 1943. We were involved in the invasion of the Mariannas...Saipan, Tinian, Guam. Later we were part of the invasion of Palau, later thought to have not been necessary. We took part in the invasion of Leyte in the Phillipines. I was wounded there during an air raid. We were involved in the invasion of Iwo Jima, a very bloody affair. We were at Okinawa, which most people don't realize was bigger than Normandy. The largest concentration of warships in history. I was wounded again during a kamikaze attack. I ended up in a hospital on Guam for several weeks. After the ship was repaired I went back aboard and we returned to Okinawa. About 2 months later we were again hit by a kamikaze. After some repairs, we headed back to the States on one engine. We were refueling at Saipan on the day the war ended. That's condensing 3-1/2 years into one paragraph.

So far, the film has shown an equal amount on the war in the Pacific and war in Europe. Lately, the news media has tended to ignore the war in the Pacific theatre. It's as if the war started at Normandy. The war in the Western Pacific, Southeast Asia, and China was huge. Much larger in scope than anything previous.

Just thought that you might be interested. They say that a thousand WW2 vets are dying each day...hey that's pretty scary if you're one of them.

Wally

Messages In This Thread

The Documentary...The War
Re: The Documentary...The War
A Humble Thank You from a Boomer
Re: A Humble Thank You from a Boomer
Amen *NM*
Andy, was your Dad part of the 42nd division? *NM*
DVD available 10/2/2007 *LINK*
I saw enough of it when it happened.
Thank You for Serving...
Politicians Who Start Wars....
Mark Twain said
Re: I salute the true "greatest....
Re: I salute the true "greatest....
Re: The Documentary...The War *PIC*
Re: Can't see the pic, Steven. *NM*
Re: Can't see the pic, Steven. *LINK*
Re: Still can't see.
Re: Still can't see. *PIC*
Re: Now I see.
Re: Now I see.
Re: My God! That's a time machine fo you isn't it? *NM*
Re: It redefines the word "Unreal" *NM*
my ship...CA 31 was the yacht for FDR and truman *NM*
My Grandfather fought in Okinawa
Re: The Documentary...The War *PIC*
Is it the story of the "belly landing"?
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081