Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
My wife says that size really does matter! *PIC*

Brian Simmons, Heflin, AL
>I had this piece of poplar drying for several years now. It was a twin trunk tree and the slab was around 6" thick. I have thought about a really big turning and the wife said that for the new house she would like a really big bowl to hang on the wall. So I finally got out the Prazi and rough cut the round shape. Had to build a gantry setup out of wood to 'plane' the cupped blank flat with a router. I filled in the voids with epoxy and coffee grounds. Then I made a faceplate from a mitsubishi gallant rim 17" in diameter. Mounted my now flat blank on the bowl lathe (actually a Schauer speed lathe) and thought about how to proceed for a few days. I finally rough cut the face with the shape dictated by the character of the wood. Cut a core off of the back to later turn into a matching mirror. I finished the face and started to cut the back shape as far as I could. Made a 37" diameter mdf/plywood faceplate to mount on the rim. Hot glued the bowl blank on the large wood plate. Finished the bottom and then sprayed on gloss spar urethane. Mounted a lazy susan bearing so that she can rotate the bowl any way she pleases. She now wants a satin finish so I guess I will sand it down a little and respray but she is very happy with her new house warming gift. Finished size is 34-3/8" diameter and 4-1/2" tall with the wall thickness at around 3/8". The blank weighed around 200 pounds and the finished bowl weighs 18 pounds.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081