Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Indy Fest fallout

Carol - now in NC Nebraska
>OK, folks.

I stopped along the way home picking up a few goodies. I got the BBQ light at a Lowes. I stopped at Woodsmith Store in Des Moines. It was the only toy store open when I was in the area. Drooled over their stuff for a while. Found the JT33-MT2 thingie there. Drove past a Woodcraft, I think in Peoria, but it was way past open hours. :)

Anyhoo. Now I have questions. I got an JT33 to MT2 thingie for my drill chuck. Tonight I went to see how it would all fit together. Well, the adapter slipped into the chuck just fine. But it did not slip into the tailstock just fine. :(

So, I started turning the tailstock wheel and that is where the problem is. It has a very tight spot about 70% of every revolution. I looked at the exploded drawing in the owner's manual to see what is what. I finally turned enough (very tight in spots) to get the tailstock spindle out. The threads look OK but it is very dirty in there. I see an E-ring in the drawing which appears to be holding the spindle in the casting. How do I get this out so I can eyeball and thoroughly clean everything? That would be part #57 in the drawing.

I bought this lathe used. It runs fine. I WILL get the VS motor running for it one day. (I promise, Randy.) All the bearings seem to run true and smooth. This is the only hitch thus far. I didn't get the live center, but thanks to Mike I now have one. I also didn't get a drive spur, but thanks to Jamie I now have one. Thanks, guys. I am not sure you are 'helping' as much as you are pushing me down the slope. LOL! But I am on a roll. ;)

BTW, the Hunter #3 is on the way, also.

So. What to do about the tailstock spindle to get it to turn smoothly and freely?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081