Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Turning Southern Style symposium report

Gary Evans Tallassee, TN
>Since nobody else looks like they are going to do so, I thought I would post my thoughts on last weekend's symposium.

Bear in mind, I have the vendor's viewpoint here since I wasn't a paid attendee and didn't visit many of the demos, but from what I could tell, everyone who was there enjoyed themselves tremendously.

The Georgia Assoc. of Woodturners always manages to recruit a notable group of top-line turners. This year's slate included Michael Mocho, Michael Hosaluk, Stewart Mortimer, John Jordan, Nick Cook, Dave Barriger, and Frank Bowers. It would be difficult to top that lineup.

This year's show had a record 260 paid attendees. As a vendor, I love to see those numbers.

On Saturday night, the auction raised $8800 for the club's scholarship fund, so a lot of people will be benefiting on down the road by getting some assistance with continuing their woodturning education.

There were a lot of cooks involved in putting together this massive undertaking, but the chief chef was our own Harvey Meyer. Together they did an excellent job, in my opinion. Kudos to the entire group.

I had a great time meeting old friends and making some new ones. I hope everyone else did too.

Gary

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081