Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
OT: Tutankhamen Exhibit in Philadelphia *LINK*

Chuck Engstrom
>I went through this Thursday and despite the cattle-drive crowd, it was well worth the effort and the roughly $50 each for tickets, parking, etc. All items over 3,500 years old and we would be hard put to match much of this stuff. Extensive inlay in wood. If you can get to this you should do it; two weeks left and then you'd have to go to Egypt, I guess, to see it.

You have to buy a ticket for timed entry during a specific half-hour. Once in, you can stay as long as you like, but once you leave, there's no re-entry. We were in for about 2-1/2 hours, so don't forget to use the restroom before you go in. (If you are luckier than I was, you won't see anyone changing their baby on the floor.)

Other suggestions: Go as early as you can stand to, preferably to be the first ones in -- beat the crowds if you can, they will get big and full of less than fully absorbed youngsters. You may also get to park in the on-site parking, which would be a big help. Franklin Institute is easy to get to from I-95 then I-676 with good instructions on their website. (Getting back on I-676 is less easy; go up 22nd St, work into left lane to turn onto Ben Franklin Pkwy, then stay in left lane to do loop in front of Phila Art Museum, then get in right lane for I-676 East -- at least I think that's how it worked (may be different if you need to go west.))

There's also an IMAX presentation, which we didn't have time for, another reason to go early and have time for that. And be sure to pay the extra $7 for the audio tour when you are buying your tickets.

Incredible stuff. Don't miss this opportunity. Take a couple of vacation days and fly in to Philly on Southwest if you have to -- it's worth it. I may even go back.

Best to all--

Chuck Engstrom

Messages In This Thread

OT: Tutankhamen Exhibit in Philadelphia *LINK*
Re: Wow, has it really been....
Re: Wow, has it really been....
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081