Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Hunter carbide tips- long *PIC*

George Van
>Last Wednesday I was in Duluth, MN, with Mike Hunter and some friends to try some of Mike’s tools and prototypes out. We had a good time and everyone had a chance to try all the tools on different woods and at different settings. I used one in a Sudol bar on a 16” vase and was very impressed on the ease of removing a lot of wood in a hurry. When I returned I bought a 3/16” Hunter tip for my Trent Bosh tool and have been giving it a go on some junk pieces that have rot and cracks to see how they perform on questionable blanks. I am enjoying the Trent Bosch tool more than ever now that it has the new tip. It is more aggressive and therefore I have to be more careful and check thickness more often while I hollow, as I am removing more material than I did previously with less effort. The figured grain and the rot/solid areas seem to pose no problems for this cutter. One of the fellows said he uses his in root balls with good success. I also have a tip to try on my Rolly Munro tool, I am anxious to get a nut so I can give it a try also.
Below is one that made it, spalted maple crotch 6”x4.25. The neck was intended to be higher and smaller but the pith was so rotten I had to turn lower to get to somewhat good wood for a rim. I had one other that did not make it as I could not hold the cracks and rot together. The foot had to be this size as smaller or round would have been rot and I can already look through the bottom. Sorry, I still have problems getting enough light bounced to the front of the vase to eliminate shadowed areas.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081