Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Follow Up...Sanding Inside HF's.....

Wally Dickerman in Arizona
>Ron's post yesterday on using a rubber fingertip as an aid in sanding inside a hollow vessel was a good one. However, in my opinion Ron's method of gluing the sandpaper to the rubber tip is dangerous. I've been using rubber fingertips for sanding for many years...hundreds of hollow vessels. Because of a rough surface, a flaw in the wood, a crack, or whatever, I've had the first grit used snatched from the rubber tip upon contact with the wood. Had the sandpaper been glued to the rubber tip I could have had a serious injury to my finger.

My method is to use strips of sandpaper about an inch and half wide. I fold it over from each side so that there are three thicknesses of sandpaper with a grit side in contact with the rubber tip, which helps to keep it from slipping. This allows me to move and refold the sandpaper for a fresh grit. The rubber tip, plus three thicknesses of sandpaper helps to prevent heat. I don't have large fingers, but I use the extra large size. I want it to be a bit loose.

Sounds dangerous, sticking your finger through a small opening in a rapidly turning piece of wood, but I can't remember ever having had an injury.

Nobody but another turner sticks his finger inside a piece to see how smooth it is. If your finger is longer than mine you might feel where I haven't sanded.....

Wally

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081