Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Reflections from my first demo (long)

Doug Thompson near Cleveland
>The first time is always the hardest and I'm glad it's out of the way.

I was asked by a friend Gordon Seto to demo at a club meeting about 50 miles away. The first reaction was to say no and take the easy way out but all you can do is take a deep breath and go for it.

I was surprised how much prep was involved to put on a demo, it's one thing to turn at home but to take everything you need to a different location takes a lot of thought. Each item has to be available and it's the little stuff that's easy to forget. Gathering the wood is a chore by itself, to find the wood at the last minute so it's green and prep the blanks takes time.

When you get to the location that's when the club members step up to the plate, you have more help than you could ever want. From unloading the truck to the setup everything is done for you which shows the charater of the club members. To each and everyone person that was there I say thank you.

The demo is what you what you know (hopefully) the hard part was talking and trying to discribe and remember what you were going to high light about each step. Overall it when ok, the hat was still in one piece at the end of the demo but it did weigh about 2 oz's more than expected, that was a surprise. When I got home I tried to figure out why it was so heavy, recheck the calipers they were ok then remembered I didn't let it dry on the lathe befor topping it off... that could be the extra weight. it's to late now.

Here's what I'd do different.

Lay all the equipment on a table in clear view so it was easy to find. The table was twice what I needed but I only used one corner of it.

Don't change tools for a demo. I changed to blades in the handles the day before and didn't have the grind quite right. The entire demo I forced the cut and couldn't correct it.

When you have the tool on the wood don't think of what your going to say next. I almost made a fatal mistake when my brain went into la la land thinking of what to say next.

I felt a little nervous but it wasn't that... you feel self-conscious because everyone is looking at you!

This is getting long, I would like to thank the Buckeye woodturners for everything... it was fun.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081