Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Electrical / Mechanical Lathe Questions

Ken Romines
>I have a 1 1/2 horse 230 volt Emerson motor to mount on the 12” Delta lathe I am trying to rebuild, but alas, I am a nurse and a wood turner want to be, so I need an amen before I do something really, really dumb.

The motor label has the following info schematic:

Blue ---------L1

Brown ---------Insulate

White / Orange -------Insulate

Purple / Red --------Insulate

Black / Yellow--------L2

To Reverse Rotation Interchange Red and Black

I also have two Siemens 42CF115AG contractors with an interlock to reverse the motor.

Question 1. I connect my two hot wires to L1 and L2 on both contractors. On the out L1 side of both contractors I run one wire to L1 (blue) on the motor. On contractor A I connect L2 to the Black/Yellow lead and that will get me my forward rotation. Do I run the lead from contractor B to the Red Purple leads to get the opposite rotation or ?????

Question 2. The motor will run 1725 RPMs with a 1 1/2 inch pulley on the shaft. I still have the Delta Variable Speed (Reeves) drive shaft connected to the lathe. Will this slow down the speed too much? I want to turn bowls and hollow forms when I get this finished. There won’t be a large number of spindles turned.

Does this make any sense at all?

Thanks again in advance for all the information/knowledge and inspiration you guys and gals provide.

Ken

Messages In This Thread

Electrical / Mechanical Lathe Questions
Re: Electrical / Mechanical Lathe Questions
Diagram screwed up. *NM*
Re: Diagram screwed up. *PIC*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081