Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
live centers & a few other ?'s *LINK*

Carol - Strawberry, AZ
>I am about to order a live center from Grizzly, along with a drill chuck arbor.

My Jet mini lathe has MT2, is that right? I have a new drill chuck that says JT #33 on it. So I will be getting G1435. ($9)

My question has to do with the live center. There are a lot to choose from. Aside from double the price (in the interest of my lint filled, but otherwise empty wallet), any reason the $24 G5686 is twice as good as the $12 H3408?

Do I need a spur drive? Grizzly has H3406, a 4 spur drive for $6.

Turns out I have 2 chucks! But I have no alder or poplar to make waste blocks. The local lumber yard doesn't carry anything but construction lumber. Next Wednesday I am going to Norfolk, NE, a bigger community than Bassett. Hopefully I can find something there. Or can I make construction lumber 2x stuff work?

I just 'won' an auction for a little 9" Delta band saw on eBay. I needed 'something' to cut wood. It certainly won't replace my Powermatic at home but then the Powermatic didn't fit in the car when I came here. Here is another rationalization. The lathe can swing 9" so the band saw should be a match! Like I said, better than nothing.

Thanks for your help. Things are slowly coming together.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081