Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
First use of new chain saw

Stuart Johnson
>My old saw is a 22 year old Craftsman with an 18" bar. The manual doesn't say the hp but I think it is 39cc. I've cut a lot of wood with the saw and from day one is has been hard work. I've been toying with the idea of a new saw for sometime and after spending close to 2 hours trying to get it to start decided now was the time.

Yesterday I bought a Stihl MS361. Today I filled up and after a few tugs to get things primed the first time it fired right up. I let it idle while I set a nice sized piece of Mesquite up on my sawing stand. The ends needed to be cut off and then the log split for blanks. I proceeded to cut the end off the log plus cut my stand in half. I didn't just cut into it I went straight through it. There was no downward pressure required like with the Craftsman.

I doubt if I'll ever wake up and think oh boy I get to go chain sawing today. But, I can see where using a good chain saw take away the dread.

By the way when I put the new saw away I thought I would give the old one another try. It fired on the first pull. I'll save it for when I have to cut brush out of the ditches.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081