Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Angle drill bearings

robo hippy
>A while back I posted about some fancy bearings that I got, on an engineers recomendation (supposed to be better quality than the Koyo bearings others have recomended), for my angle drills. I just went through the first set. I got somewhere between 350 and 400 bowls, most of which were in the 8 to 14 inch diameter range, out of them before they (3 out of the 6 in the drill) failed. This was the only time that I heard them go out, with a small tick sound, then 5 minutes later, the drill stopped. Usually they start sounding bad slowly, and get worse over the course of a week or three. I am getting them done again, and will keep better records of how many bowls I get done with them, then get a brand new drill with stock bearings and see if there is much difference.

I asked the repair guy if he knew why they failed. He said that it was the dust. I said that the bearings were supposed to be sealed. He said that eventually dust still gets in, and that using the drill for a sander was exceeding the intended use and abuse of the tool. I do use 3 inch discs exclusively. I figured that maybe since I was now running the discs at a slower speed, that the drill bearings might last a bit longer, but it doesn't appear so, at least not on this set.

Testing still in progress.

robo hippy

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081