Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
A good haul... *PIC*

steve antonucci
>Andy DiPietro and I met for the first time at Five Barns, and we hit it off. We decided to head off for a day of cutting wood. With our chainsaws ready to rock and roll, a 6' pry bar, and two turcks, we began cutting on a siberian elm tree (Andy brought some to Five Barns). Burl and birdseye, anyone?

After a few hours of cutting on that, I decided to take a look around. I spied a cherry log that was covered in vines, and since I'm out of cherry, I decided to cut some. When the slab came off, I said a bad word. I had cut a burl in half. But all was not lost. Upon inspecting the log closer, I found another, much larger burl. It is to the right of the chainsaw, and is 15" in diameter.

I called Andy over to show him the find. He had never seen or turned cherry burl, so I told him he could have this one. We rolled over another section of the log, when I saw that it too was cherry burl, and even larger than the first one!

When I started cutting the burl off, I was using a maple log nearby as a cutting bench. I looked a little closer, and the log was curly. You just can't make this stuff up. I took a bunch for tool handles.

Finally, I also had seen a curly maple stump that I wanted to cut. I put the saw in , and lo and behold, spalted to perfection.

Andy and I filled our trucks with a solid 5 hours of work, and we were both sunburnt and tired at the end, but rewarded for our efforts.

Steve

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081