Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Five Barns wood

steve antonucci
>I've made some friends here on WoodCentral, and every year, we swap wood at Bill's. This year, I swapped some pimento burl with Ron Sardo for a hunk of desert ironwood. I also had the pleasure of meeting Andy DiPietro, who gave me a hunk of siberian elm burl.

I decided to beat myself senseless on Ron's ironwood first. It's called ironwood for a reason. I made the form on the left and was nearly complete when catastrophe struck. if you look closely, you'll notice the "natural edge bottom". It was about 5x2.5" and 1/8" on the upper half, turned through a 1/2" hole. I knew it was bottom heavy, and I was working down the lower wall thickness when I cut through the bottom and watched the form spin on my tool. I may try to figure out a repair for it, but it's going to haunt me for a bit (contrary to previous reports, I did yell a lot of bad words when I lost this one ;-)

The other three elm burl forms are hollowed +/- 1/8" thick, with the tallest being 8" and the natural edge one being 4.5" tall. The bottoms are a wee bit thicker, but overall, I don't think it detracts from the feel of the piece in your hand.

They're bagged for final drying and finish work in a week or two, but I posted them now since I almost never post "finished work".

Comments welcome.

Steven

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081