Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Great weekend...(gloat)

Peter Teubel
>I spent yesterday attending a Melvyn Firmager demo. I then proceeded to spend 11 hours with him (and two other students) today getting a hands-on class at Angelo Iafrate's shop. Don't judge this fellow by his videos (somewhat dry in delivery). He's a funny and very personable guy! We had a really great time.

As some of you know, he has some VERY alien grinds on his tools. I learned to not only use them but also (most importantly) to sharpen them. In between sessions, I raced to grind my own gouges to match. All free hand grinding...couldn't figure out how they could possibly be jigged (although I tried). But with all the sharpening we had to do throughout the day, I got it down pat....with just a wide platform rest on the grinder.

All I can say is WOW. They really work well....and are used in the most UNCONVENTIONAL ways. With Melvyn's instruction and guidance, I was able to get honest-to-God "start-sanding-at-220-grit" finishes...no kidding...in both faceplate and spindle orientation (FYI, we were turning green Cherry). I couldn't believe it myself. And using gouges to hollow out forms thru a 1" opening was certainly an eye opener.

If you even get a chance to see him demo or take a class with him, you will NOT be disappointed! Your turning skills will only improve.

Messages In This Thread

Great weekend...(gloat)
Re: Peter- you left us hanging....
Re: Peter- you left us hanging....
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081