Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Thank you, Dave Smith

keith tompkins
>I had an extra day after the symposium before my flight home, so Dave Smith invited me to his home in Longview, Washington. I had a great time....got to turn a bit on Dave's unorthodox Jet lathe, and while I was there we were able to disassemble a Tormek grinder. The stone needed to be replaced, but had seized onto the shaft...since I have a degree in hammer technology, I was able to assist Dave in replacing the stone. BTW...the Tormek works very well indeed. It produces a great edge, and frankly takes no longer that most grinder set-ups.

Dave is a great guy, and I enjoyed my visit a great deal, except I was so loaded down with free wood samples when I left that my bags were TOO heavy.

I enjoyed learning about Dave's alcohol-soaking methods. Does it work? Yes, yes it does. Dave employs a very scientific, logical approach to his method, and the results speak for themselves.

It's great to visit another turner, and see things from someone elses perspective. I certainly picked up a tip or two! Dave, thanks for making my trip even more special. You've got an invite back east any time!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081