Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Slicing bologna.

Gary Evans Tallassee, TN
>Hi all,
Years ago, my grandfather ran a grocery store and I can still remember him being able to make 1/2" slices of bologna and other sandwich meats on his big slicer.

I need to make 1/2" or 3/4" slices from a 4" round to use as washers to hang my new parachute. It's the cheapest ceiling material I could find for a 1600 sqft space and I think that 4" washers will provide sufficient support for the material.

I'm trying to figure out whether it would be more efficient to use a parting tool to cut the slices, or to slice them off with the bandsaw. The negative side of the parting tool is that it's a pretty good stretch off the toolrest to get to the middle of that blank.

The negative side of using the bandsaw is that I would really like to decorate the surface of each disc with some grooves or beads, or something. Having to pull the blank off the lathe for every cut would take some time. I figure I'm going to need 20 or so.

So, what I'm looking for are 4" by 3/4" discs with a decorated surface. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gary

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081