Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Grex Air Sander-Long

Paul Coppinger
>In April, I took a platter class at John C. Campbell from Frank Penta and Alan Leland. Great class, great teachers, learned a lot and brought back 3 platters. One tip from Frank was to use a 5" random orbit sander to smooth the face of large platters. When a returned home, I wanted a smaller r-o sander to compliment the 5" so I ordered the Grex r-o air sander with an additional 3" hook and loop pad (2" included) from Packard Woodworks . Today, I finally got to use it on a platter. After about 20 minutes of use, I stopped to check my progress and when I tried to start it again, nothing. Air came out the exhaust but the pad did not turn. I checked the air supply, spun the pad but still nothing but exhaust air. I called Packard and spoke with Brad who, based on his air drill experience in a former life, suggested that the turbine might have stopped in a position that allowed air to flow through to the exhaust without turning the turbine. On the Grex, between the trigger and pad is a collet with a slot. By reaching in with the pad wrench, I was able to rotate the shaft slightly and I was back in business. Hope this helps someone else with their air equipment and thanks to Brad at Packard for his help.

PAC

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081