Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
As I see it

Ron in Drums PA
>I've been selling for decades, maybe not turnings, but I've been selling. It doesn't make a difference if you are selling insurance, printing or bottle stoppers, selling is selling.

Here are a few things I've learned.

If you have low prices, you will get cheap customers who want even lower prices. If you lower your prices they will think your work isn't worth the price you are asking. Why, because you are willing to give it away for even less.

If your prices are high, you will scare away cheap customers. All you will have left are people who understand what quality is worth. So instead of selling 20 bowls at $30 you sell 3 bowls at $200 to people who appreciate and understand. Maybe one or two of us might sell a single bowl for $600.

Through the years, I've sold printing to people who sell crafts at shows. Believe me when I tell you, just about all of them can make more money working for McDonalds, probably work less hours too. I'm not saying their work is junk, some of it is quite good. They just refuse to raise their prices. If you can't get a good price at a show, you are selling at the wrong place to the wrong customer. Find a better place to sell your stuff.

The techniques Steve Russel uses for selling his work is the same techniques I use for selling design work to customers who want brochures and sale materials. Why is the same, because it works! I spent many years learning how to do this, I bet Steve did too and he just handed you the big secret, for free.

Listen to what he has to say and ignore those who tell you you can't get a good price for your turning.

BTW, I sold this for $150 about a year ago, it's about 4" tall.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081