Turning Archive 2007

First thing I've turned in awhile. *PIC*

Gary Evans Tallassee, TN
>Hi all,

After Sable, our female hyper-shepherd, ran over the Quan Yin statue in Beth's meditation garden and broke off her hand, I was commissioned to turn a pedestal to give her (the statue) a little more stability.

Here is a pic of the pedestal. Osage Orange, 3"Hx7"dia. with a 5/8" tenon to go up into the bottom of the statuette. First thing I've turned for a long time. I filled the figurine about half full with sand, inserted the tenon and then stood it back upright. Seems to be pretty stable.

Finish is 2 coats of a water-based exterior poly sold under the Permachink brand. I used their floor finish last week to do a new yellow pine floor. We got some samples of this exterior finish from the saleslady, so I'm trying it out. It's supposed to have a dose of UV protection added in. I'll be interested to see how this pedestal holds its color. It will be living in a shady spot, so the color may stay around for awhile.

I was going for an oriental feel to go with the statue. I think I was close to the mark. I would appreciate any comments on the execution.

Thanks for looking,

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.