Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
First thing I've turned in awhile. *PIC*

Gary Evans Tallassee, TN
>Hi all,

After Sable, our female hyper-shepherd, ran over the Quan Yin statue in Beth's meditation garden and broke off her hand, I was commissioned to turn a pedestal to give her (the statue) a little more stability.

Here is a pic of the pedestal. Osage Orange, 3"Hx7"dia. with a 5/8" tenon to go up into the bottom of the statuette. First thing I've turned for a long time. I filled the figurine about half full with sand, inserted the tenon and then stood it back upright. Seems to be pretty stable.

Finish is 2 coats of a water-based exterior poly sold under the Permachink brand. I used their floor finish last week to do a new yellow pine floor. We got some samples of this exterior finish from the saleslady, so I'm trying it out. It's supposed to have a dose of UV protection added in. I'll be interested to see how this pedestal holds its color. It will be living in a shady spot, so the color may stay around for awhile.

I was going for an oriental feel to go with the statue. I think I was close to the mark. I would appreciate any comments on the execution.

Thanks for looking,
Gary

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081