Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
big spindle commission *PIC*

john lucas
>I'm asking for advice here. This will be the biggest (not the longest) spindle I've been asked to do. I want your opinions on how you would turn it and how you think I should figure the cost. The overall height is 36" and the width is 22" I may be off a little because I was estimating size from a really bad photo. I'll get a better photo from her if this goes through.

The bottom 10" will probably be segmented turning. I'm thinking I should probably do the top portion that way as well. If I do stave construction of the upper portion I'll have a lot of waste, not to mention that I've never done stave that would be 8" deep.

I figure it would take 2 days to cut and glue up all the segments. I hope I'm figuring that time right.

It will also mean that I'll need to add some wood spacers below the headstock and tailstock to give me a swing of more than 22". I have some MDF so that will be pretty easy. I've done it before on a smaller lathe and it works surprisingly well.

I figure about 1/2 a day for turning. I would want to take it slow to reduce the chances for error.

I hope to do more work like this around here because I think the money is better than selling art pieces or craft. I don't want to undersell myself but also don't want to lose the job. Give me your best guess. Your help is really appreciated.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081